THE VILLAGES — The Lake-Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) Board installs a new slate of officers today with a formal ceremony that also includes the fifth annual Lake~Sumter MPO Horizon Awards. The 6 p.m. installation ceremony and awards dinner follow the 4 p.m. regular business meeting of the regional transportation planning board.
The meeting and awards dinner are hosted at the Savannah Center within The Villages in Sumter County. Seminole County Commissioner Bob Dallari, who is also chairman of the three-county MPO MetroPlan Orlando, will present the keynote address.
The new officers are as follows:
• Chairman – Commissioner Don Burgess, Sumter County
• Chairman-elect Mayor Jim Richards, Town of Lady Lake
• First Vice-Chairman – Commissioner Sean Parks, Lake County
• Second Vice-Chairman – Mayor Robert Thielhelm, City of Mount Dora
• Past Chairman – Commissioner Jennifer Hill, Lake County
The officers serve on the MPO’s executive committee, along with an appointment representing the five municipalities of Sumter County, a spot to be filled this year by the City of Center Hill, and a representative of the seven small municipalities of Lake County, this year represented by Mayor Jake Farley of Astatula.
The MPO Governing Board also made the following appointments at the December meeting:
• Central Florida MPO Alliance Members – Sumter County Commissioner Don Burgess, Lady Lake Mayor Jim Richards and Clermont Mayor Pro-Tem Ray Goodgame
• Central Florida MPO Alliance Alternates – Lake County Commissioner Sean Parks, Mount Dora Mayor Robert Thielhelm and Lake County Commissioner Jennifer Hill
• Lake County Transportation Disadvantaged Coordinating Board Chairman – Commissioner Leslie Campione
• Sumter County Transportation Disadvantaged Coordinating Board Chairman – Commissioner Don Burgess
• Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee Chairman – City of Eustis Commissioner William Ferree
The Lake-Sumter MPO Governing Board consists of 29 board members (16 voting and 13 non-voting) representing the communities of the Lake-Sumter region. Each member government appoints elected representation to the MPO Governing Board, along with an alternate representative.
The apportionment of membership on the Lake-Sumter MPO Governing Board includes one voting representative from each of the seven most populated cities in Lake County, including Clermont, Eustis, Lady Lake, Leesburg, Minneola, Mount Dora and Tavares. The seven (7) least populated cities of Lake County (Astatula, Groveland, Fruitland Park, Mascotte, Montverde, Umatilla, Howey-in-the-Hills), share one at-large vote that rotates alphabetically each year. An At- Large Representative voting position rotates annually among the five (5) Sumter County municipalities of Bushnell, Center Hill, Coleman, Webster and Wildwood. In addition, the five members of the Lake County Board of County Commissioners and two designated County Commissioners from the Sumter County Board of County Commissioners are each voting members. During 2012, Astatula and Bushnell hold the rotating votes. Ex-officio board members from Lake County Schools, Sumter District Schools and the Florida Central Railroad round out the membership of the Lake~Sumter MPO Governing Board.
The MPO Governing Board typically meets on the fourth Wednesday of every month and all meetings are open to the public. Regular meeting dates and times may be changed by action of the MPO to accommodate holidays and/or other reasons. Therefore, please consult the link to verify meeting dates and times. www.LakeSumterMPO.com